Tabs

 photo 225pxtab_zps3ab577af.png photo hometab_zpsc4ac9db1.png photo MMtab_zps84d1465f.png photo sisterselktab_zps4aeded4a.png photo ibelievetab_zps8c2c9788.png photo abouttab_zps2ebe1350.png photo 225pxtab_zps3ab577af.png

Thursday 9 July 2015

Makin poutines, makin bacon poutines!

I hope at least Rawley understands my subject line for this email, because I thought it was pretty clever..... ha.
I have decided that the first week in July is just the week for festas! I feel like we have literally been cooking so much this week, which doesn't make our apartment any less of a sauna, let me tell you. July 1st, July 4th, July 5th...they were all important days.
The beginning of this week was a little hectic because the Crossman's daughter came to visit, so they weren't around to do aula de English and Noite familiar like they usually are. So....I got to teach aula de English this week! Just a warning to any of you thinking about attending an aula de English class taught by Sister Selk.... you probably shouldn't. If you can imagine me in my broken Portuguese/half english trying to explain the principles of English grammar you can probably imagine that it was just one big mess! It was great.
We also were in charge of Noite Familiar this week which fell on Canada day, so of course I thought it was necessary to make Poutines. :) Quick shout out to Canada for being so awesome. We had a super good turnout and tons of the ward members came that usually don't, so it was lots of fun, super stressful (Because Portuguese people aren't very patient when it comes to food), and everyone really liked the poutines I made. #success #Canadianpride
Miracle of the week. Huge Miracle of the week! So we have been working hard to put more emphasis on working with members here in Olhao, and on Wednesday we set up 2 different members to work with us. One in the morning and one in the evening. In the morning we had a lady named conceicao that we had contacted and really wanted to go visit with a member. We had her address, but didn't know where she lived, so we ended up asking around and finding out that she lived pretty far away in the Elder's area. We literally walked around the whole city of Olhao that morning with this sweet member in the blazing heat. Finally we were able to find her house, but of course after all our efforts she wasn't there. I will be completely honest and say I was pretty bummed. I was so determined for this lesson to go well for us. I really can't explain how the timing and direction of everything worked out, other than to say it was an undeniable miracle from God. Fam, it was incredible. We were walking across the LAST street before we were going to say goodbye to the member that we brought, and guess who I saw....CONCEICAO! Oh my goodness! It was so incredible! We passed right by her on the crosswalk and we almost missed seeing her, but at the most perfect moment I looked up and saw her. Uh. MIRACLE! We were able to have a lesson right there on the street with her and our member. I have no doubt in my mind that God directed us right to her. It is unexplainable.
For an update on the challenge with Nuno: He definitely made a lot of progress this week. Still has some progress to make, but it went super well! He went from smoking 3 cigarettes a day to smoking 3 this week! Not eating sugar really was not as hard as I thought it would be as well. I think we have decided to cut out sugar out of our diet completely, except for on P-day haha.
This week we have been working some more with Norma-the Spanish lady in our ward. She is incredible. Seriously an angel. She helps us out with a lot of our lessons, and we also went with her to visit Patriarcha and Maria-Clara (the most perfect elderly Portuguese couple in our branch) It was such a good visit, and Patriarcha reminds me so much of grandpa Johnson. So wise, so kind, so giving, and even has the tiniest waist like grandpa Johnson haha
Saturday we put together an activity for the jovems. We made a bolo, the leaders brought some food and we had a short spiritual message with some games. It was pretty simple, but it ended up being a really good activity as well.
Yesterday was Sister Crossman's birthday! My mom on the mission :) She is incredible, so we made sure to make it extra special for her. We made dinner for her- I made roast chicken, Sister Andrade made some rice, and we made another cake. It was the first time that I made chicken without any sort of directions and it ended up turning out really well! Sister Crossman just loved everything and was so appreciative. I also made a photo book for her which she loved too, so overall it was a success.
I can't believe we are on the final 2 weeks of this transfer! Time is flying! Hope your summers are all going well! Have a great week. Amo Voces!

-Sister Selk

No comments:

Post a Comment